Accommodations are available upon request at any stage of the application process.
The entrance to the building is at step-free ground level with two sets of two doors, and one is automatic or at the lower level one set of two doors, one of which is automatic. There is an elevator. The Shenkman Arts Centre is open to the public and, especially during events and celebrations, it can be a noisy and vibrant place.
We work to continually increase accessibility, inclusivity and diversity, OST-ETO is an equal opportunity employer. We value the diversity of the people we hire and serve. Diversity at OST-ETO means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated and respected, as well as responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
Working during COVID
As we transition to reopening, we will continue to follow COVID safety policies. At this time we require all in our suite to wear a mask.
Here’s a snapshot of what working at OST-ETO is like:
The Ottawa School of Theatre is a Resident Arts Partner within The Shenkman Arts Centre. Our theatre study happens in one of our two state of the art studios with performances in studios and/or one of the theatres within the centre.
Operated by the City of Ottawa, this centre offers a diversity of programs and activities attributed to a unique collaboration with the Resident Arts Partners: Ottawa School of Theatre , Arts Network Ottawa, Gloucester Pottery School, MIFO (Mouvement d’implication francophone d’Orléans), and the Ottawa School of Art–Orléans Campus. The centre is also home to Resident Company Tara Luz Danse and ARTicipate, a one-of-a-kind endowment fund that supports innovative programming at the centre.
ABOUT OTTAWA SCHOOL OF THEATRE
Ottawa School of Theatre (OST-ETO, OST) is a non-profit, charitable organization providing excellence in drama and theatre education and experience to students of all ages in English and French. Begun in 1989 in the Township of Cumberland as Orleans Young Players, OST-ETO has grown to include more than 500 students in the September to June classes, camp programs and workshops.
OST-ETO provides a valuable service to our community in that we raise awareness – and appreciation – of the arts in our community and lives. We believe that arts and culture must be an integral part of life from the formative years.
The mission of OST-ETO is to offer excellence in theatre education that is accessible to students of all ages, ethnicities and abilities.
The vision of OST-ETO is to be a creative catalyst for self-confident performers and discerning and appreciative patrons of the arts in our school and the greater community.
With a program focused on developmental drama, our goal is to have each student attain and exceed their highest personal standard of excellence. OST-ETO’s program provides direct drama education, giving each student the opportunity to perform a significant role in a production; hands-on experience in behind-the-scenes aspects of theatre; and strives to instill in our students an appreciation for, and love of, theatre.
The play is the nucleus through which the other aspects are explored, experienced and integrated. Through this simple concept education can flow. Producing a play is challenging to the students and exciting for the instructors, which creates an environment where students want to learn.
We would LOVE to hear from you! Please direct any questions, comments or concerns to email@example.com.
Are you interested in working with us?
For administrative and artistic job enquiries (outside of the postings below) please contact Managing Director Sue Webb.
Potential start date: September 6th, 2022
Contract: Part-time flexible
Hours: 10-20 hours per week, dependent on time of year
- Communication skills in both official languages (oral and written) preferred
- Capable of working independently and as part of a team, both remotely and occasionally in-office
- Excellent writing skills
- Up-to-date knowledge of social media tone and culture, and the organisational use of social media
- Experience in writing newsletters and social media posts, and managing a communications calendar
- Basic graphic design skills (Canva, Piktochart; creating posters, postcards, and other advertisements)
- Understanding of WordPress or other website backend
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Artistic Director and the Managing Director, the Marketing Officer will:
- Coordinate OST’s communications calendar, including planning and creating social media posts, newsletters, and advertisements
- Provide advertising graphics and copy for print and online outlets
- Manage OST’s social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube
- Perform basic website updates
- Track OST’s online performance through Google Analytics and report to the team
- Provide recommendations and ideas for OST’s online presence based on results
This is a flexible position that will have busy and less busy times of year. We would like to see the position grow and evolve based on the ideas and success of the candidate.
Applicants will be contacted for interviews by August 19, 2022. The position will remain open until filled.
To apply, please send a letter of interest and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Potential start date: September 15th, 2022
Hours: 1-2 shifts per week, 4 hours per shift (weekday evening, Saturday daytime)
Positions available: 4-5
- Communication skills in both official languages (oral and written)
- Proficiency in the use of office equipment and using MS Office Suites and Google Workspace
- Capable of working independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Customer service
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- A passion for theatre
- Boundless enthusiasm and energy
- A genuine love of children
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Assist the OST-ETO office staff to ensure the smooth running of the classes
- Basic administrative tasks
- Assisting customers by phone
- Process registrations
- Collecting payments
- Screening students before joining class
- Maintain high levels of hygiene within the OST Suite, following Covid-19 safety protocols and measures
- Assist teachers during classes as necessary
- Contribute to the production of the OST Yearbook and monthly newsletter
- Maintain a clean and tidy costume room
Deadline for applications is August 26th, 2022. Please apply with resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com. In the subject line please state the position you are applying for and your name.
Interviews will take place the week of September 5 with an expected start date of September 15th. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are also recruiting volunteers who are at least 14 years of age. If you are interested, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your availability.